Demystifying Trust-Based Philanthropy Session #3: How Do We Approach Risk and Due Diligence in Trust-Based Philanthropy?
Join Maryland Philanthropy Network and the Trust-Based Philanthropy Project for a 6-part webinar series focused on addressing common questions, clarifying misconceptions, and exploring ways to overcome obstacles in implementing trust-based philanthropy.
Trust-based philanthropy is a philosophy and approach rooted in values of relationship-building, mutual learning, and systemic equity – with a vision of advancing a healthier and more impactful nonprofit sector.
In Session #3, we will explore the notion of risk – and how to reframe our understanding and analysis of risk to consider the reciprocal nature of the funder-grantee relationship. We’ll hear from funders who have implemented trust-based values and practices in their due diligence process and have identified ways to bridge the gap between donor/board desires and grantee needs. Participants will gain knowledge around how to assess and respond to potential “risk” with a trust-based lens.
Our speakers will be: Stacey Faella, Woodcock Foundation; Shruti Jayaraman, Chicago Beyond; Mynor Veliz, Headwaters Foundation.
There will also be a dedicated space for small-group peer dialogue with other MPN members about ways to implement these practices into your grantmaking.
Please note your affiliation with Maryland Philanthropy Network on the registration form.
Who should attend: Anyone in a grantmaking role that is curious about understanding the nuances of trust-based philanthropy and how it applies to your work. This series will be ideal for those who have some baseline familiarity with trust-based philanthropy and have questions about how it manifests in practice.
This program is held in partnership with the Trust-Based Philanthropy Project, a five-year initiative (2020-2024) that provides funders and grantmaking practitioners with the tools, frameworks, and community spaces to deepen their work of creating a more equitable and impactful philanthropic sector.
View the Entire Series
- Recording Available Session #1 | Wednesday, April 19, 2023 from 3:00 - 5:00 PM ET | Does Trust-Based Philanthropy Mean Unconditional Trust?
- Recording Available Session #2 | Thursday, May 11, 2023 from 3:00 - 5:00 PM ET | Does Unrestricted Funding Automatically Make a Funder Trust-Based?
- Recording Available Session #3 | Wednesday, May 31, 2023 from 3:00 - 5:00 PM ET | How Do We Approach Risk and Due Diligence in Trust-Based Philanthropy?
- Recording Available Session #4 | Wednesday, June 14, 2023 from 3:00 - 5:00 PM ET | What Does Grantee Accountability Look Like in Trust-Based Philanthropy?
- Recording Available Session #5 | Wednesday, July 12, 2023 from 3:00 - 5:00 PM ET | What Does Evaluation Look Like in a Trust-Based Context?
- Recording Available Session #6 | Wednesday, August 2, 2023 from 3:00 - 5:00 PM ET | What Does Trust-Based Philanthropy Have to Do with Racial Equity?