Both locally and across the country intentional collaborations among funders increase the impact of philanthropy by connecting the knowledge and expertise of diverse funders with a wide range of funding interests.
Our own community of funders have identified issue areas impacting communities in our region and state. Supported and organized by Maryland Philanthropy Network staff and consultants, convening and programming is designed to engage and support any member with an affinity for a given issue area. Member Affinity Groups set a flexible learning and action agenda each year.
The purpose of each Member Affinity Group can vary, and evolve over time in response to emerging community issues, new members or partners and new opportunities or challenges.
All Member Affinity Groups share some common purposes and benefits including:
- Participation in a peer forum to share information and ideas
- Education on issues and best practices to meet the needs of all member types
- Opportunities to meet and learn from experts
- Opportunities to engage policymakers in relevant issue areas
- Opportunities to engage other funders in cross-sector issue based conversations
- Connection to community and nonprofit leadership and perspective
- Responsiveness to emerging critical situations, challenges and opportunities
- Outreach to prospective members to broaden opportunities for collaboration and impact
- Exploration and support for collaborative action and investment
- Professional and leadership development
All Affinity Groups are open to all Maryland Philanthropy Network members and informational programs are publicized to all members of the Maryland Philanthropy Network.