Demystifying Trust-Based Philanthropy Session #2: Does Unrestricted Funding Automatically Make a Funder Trust-Based?
Join Maryland Philanthropy Network and the Trust-Based Philanthropy Project for a 6-part webinar series focused on addressing common questions, clarifying misconceptions, and exploring ways to overcome obstacles in implementing trust-based philanthropy.
Trust-based philanthropy is a philosophy and approach rooted in values of relationship-building, mutual learning, and systemic equity – with a vision of advancing a healthier and more impactful nonprofit sector.
In Session #2, we’ll unpack the difference between unrestricted funding that is deployed in a trust-based way, and what it looks like when it’s not. We’ll also share case studies from funders who have shifted from project-specific to majority unrestricted funding, as well as those who have embedded trust-based values within semi-restricted grants. Participants can expect to gain greater clarity on the philosophy behind unrestricted funding in a trust-based context, and strategies for aligning trust-based values with the way grants are structured and deployed.
Mailee Walker, Executive Director, The Claneil Foundation
Carrie Avery, President, Durfee Foundation
John Brothers, CEO, T. Rowe Price Foundation
There will also be a dedicated space for small-group peer dialogue with other MPN members about ways to implement these practices into your grantmaking.
Please note your affiliation with Maryland Philanthropy Network on the registration form.
Who should attend: Anyone in a grantmaking role that is curious about understanding the nuances of trust-based philanthropy and how it applies to your work. This series will be ideal for those who have some baseline familiarity with trust-based philanthropy and have questions about how it manifests in practice.
This program is held in partnership with the Trust-Based Philanthropy Project, a five-year initiative (2020-2024) that provides funders and grantmaking practitioners with the tools, frameworks, and community spaces to deepen their work of creating a more equitable and impactful philanthropic sector.
View the Entire Series
- Recording Available Session #1 | Wednesday, April 19, 2023 from 3:00 - 5:00 PM ET | Does Trust-Based Philanthropy Mean Unconditional Trust?
- Recording Available Session #2 | Thursday, May 11, 2023 from 3:00 - 5:00 PM ET | Does Unrestricted Funding Automatically Make a Funder Trust-Based?
- Recording Available Session #3 | Wednesday, May 31, 2023 from 3:00 - 5:00 PM ET | How Do We Approach Risk and Due Diligence in Trust-Based Philanthropy?
- Recording Available Session #4 | Wednesday, June 14, 2023 from 3:00 - 5:00 PM ET | What Does Grantee Accountability Look Like in Trust-Based Philanthropy?
- Recording Available Session #5 | Wednesday, July 12, 2023 from 3:00 - 5:00 PM ET | What Does Evaluation Look Like in a Trust-Based Context?
- Recording Available Session #6 | Wednesday, August 2, 2023 from 3:00 - 5:00 PM ET | What Does Trust-Based Philanthropy Have to Do with Racial Equity?