Philanthropy is a critical voice now more than ever. We play a unique role as a sector and are positioned to be that persistent voice supporting good governance, sharing expertise and resources, and advocating for authentic community engagement in decision making.
Advocacy can be our most impactful and cost-effective means of pursuing lasting, broad-based social and systems change. We help our members understand and navigate the advocacy landscape and the role they can play through learning, peer sharing and convening with policymakers, community leaders and social sector partners. The Maryland Philanthropy Network offers a forum where funders can engage - directly and indirectly -- in advocating for policies that will positively impact the communities they serve.
Any funder can:
- Challenge assumptions and perspectives by joining us to hear from curated speakers including many of your colleagues leading local, regional and national advocacy work AND hear from community leaders sharing their expertise and their perspective on the impacts of policies and our grantmaking on the ground.
- Get involved with one or more affinity groups focused on the issues your foundation supports – all of our affinity groups are talking about how and where they want to engage in policy and how they can partner together and with other stakeholders for greater impact.
- Watch our announcements for opportunities to engage with elected officials and policy makers – we strive to bring them together with our members for timely and relevant discussions about issues and decisions affecting our cities, counties and state.
- Watch our announcements for opportunities to learn about issue-based legislative agendas and the role members can play to support informed policy decisions.
- Even if you don’t fund advocacy organizations, engage with your colleagues who do – we are always working to identify intersections and cultivate opportunities for members to align and take action together.