Profile of Education Giving 2015
We are excited to present our 2015 Profile of Education Giving, which aggregates data about our members’ investments in education.
In 2015, we disseminated an online survey to all members. We received responses from 50 members about the education-related organizations they support and their education focus areas.
- The full 2015 Profile of Education Giving (Members Only) provides Maryland Philanthropy Network members with a clear picture of the scope of education-related grantmaking among our membership and helps members connect with colleagues who also care about specific education issues.
- The 2015 Highlights (Public) is a summary of the key data points.
While the data do not encompass all education-related giving in the Baltimore area, the findings provide a useful snapshot of the various types of education giving and the broad scope of community investments in local education efforts.
Here are some of the major findings from the survey:
- In 2014, Maryland Philanthropy Network members contributed more than $49.2 million to education efforts through more than 1,000 grants to more than 475 organizations.
- Nearly half of the respondents (27 Maryland Philanthropy Network members) fund efforts toward system-wide education reform, such as advocacy work by the ACLU of Maryland.
- Maryland Philanthropy Network members support education efforts for all ages, with an emphasis on K-12.
- In 2014, Maryland Philanthropy Network members gave more than $10.6 million to organizations working with Baltimore City Public Schools, to individual schools, and the district itself.
- Maryland Philanthropy Network members support a wide array of education focus areas.
- More than half of the survey respondents support activities for students during after school or extended school hours. Nearly half support efforts to improve teaching quality and teacher development; financial literacy; and college scholarships.
We greatly appreciate Maryland Philanthropy Network member participation in the 2015 Profile of Education Giving project.