The School-Centered Neighborhood Investment Initiative is a strategic effort to leverage the 21st Century Buildings program $1.1 billion investment in schools construction and renovation through the alignment of resources, partners, and programs that can support transformational neighborhood revitalization.
A collaboration emerging from Maryland Philanthropy Network’s Community Investment Funders Affinity Group, phase one of the initiative concentrated supportive efforts on the Cherry Hill, Park Heights, Southwest Baltimore, and Reservoir Hill neighborhoods to support the capacity of community-based organizations and leverage physical development within communities and attract private investment.
By the end of two years, anticipated results include the following:
- Strengthened neighborhood capacity
- Evidence of stronger organizational infrastructure and/or collaborations
- Evidence of community engagement & mobilization in design process
- Established partnerships to strengthen development capacity
- Evidence of new or planned community development public and private investment in connection with 21st Century School Building Design
- Stronger collaboration between Maryland Philanthropy Network, the Mayor’s Office, Department of Planning, Baltimore Development Corporation, Family League of Baltimore, Baltimore City Public Schools and other city agencies to coordinate and implement school-centered neighborhood development.
- Model(s) for potential replication for future years of the 21st -Century Schools Building Process and other school-centered neighborhood revitalization strategies.
In the long-term, we are seeking to track trends in:
- Population retention and growth, particularly for families with school-age children.
- Stronger partnerships between community organizations and schools.
- Improved physical conditions of neighborhoods with new school facilities.
- Development activity and total investment dollars in neighborhoods with new schools.
- Community goals set in planning processes met through implementation
Supporting Funders Include:
- Sewall Development
- France-Merrick Foundation
- Joseph & Harvey Meyerhoff Family Charitable Funds
Supporting Partners Include:
Baltimore City Department of Planning
Family League of Baltimore Community Schools
For more information, contact Nan Rohrer, Consultant