In honor of Betsy Nelson's extraordinary tenure as President of the Maryland Philanthropy Network, the Board of Directors has established the Betsy Nelson Legacy Fund to support the organization's efforts to promote charitable giving and involvement in addressing community issues and challenges.
The Fund aims to share philanthropy's message beyond the Maryland Philanthropy Network membership and to build connections between charitably-minded people, organizations and institutions to strengthen our community.
The Betsy Nelson Legacy Fund will support activities which build connections between charitably-minded individuals, and promoting and inspiring philanthropy beyond Maryland Philanthropy Network's current efforts. Funds might be directed to host an annual speaker series for the nonprofit and philanthropic community and public featuring an inspiring national speaker promoting philanthropy and community involvement.
Additional possibilities include: a workshop series on Finding Your Philanthropic Passion; forums profiling inspiring philanthropic stories; experiential activities to engage young people or families in giving and community involvement or efforts to encourage the next generation of philanthropic professionals.
By institutionalizing Betsy's charitable values, the Fund will strengthen the organization she has built, increasing its position as the voice of philanthropy, the network of givers and the resource for grantmaking.
"I am so honored to know that our community will continue to celebrate and share philanthropy’s message through this fund" said Betsy Nelson. "We are all better together through philanthropy."
The Fund established at Maryland Philanthropy Network will be a designated fund to be used for the outlined Fund Purpose, with flexibility regarding specific efforts and events to support. Funds will be invested with Maryland Philanthropy Network's Operating Reserve and governed by the same Investment Guidelines.
"We are extremely grateful for the 26 remarkable years Betsy has dedicated to strengthening Baltimore's philanthropic sector,” said Beth Harber, Maryland Philanthropy Network Board Chair. "She is and will continue to be a true champion for philanthropy.”
- 2019 - Held Decolonizing Wealth: A Conversation with Edgar Villanueva on Wednesday, November 13, 2019. This program was co-sponsored by the Betsy Nelson Legacy Fund of the Maryland Philanthropy Network, The Annie E. Casey Foundation, and Maryland Institute College of Art.
- 2018 – Held The Colored Waiting Room - The American Civil Rights Movement Then and Now on Friday, April 06, 2018. This program was co-sponsored by the Betsy Nelson Legacy Fund of the Maryland Philanthropy Network, The Annie E. Casey Foundation, and Maryland Institute College of Art.
- 2017 – Partnered with Grantmakers for Effective Organizations to hold a Get a BEER* and Undo Nonprofit Power Dynamics Day Happy Hour on Thursday, May 25, 2017
- 2015 – Partnered with the Park School of Baltimore to bring in New York Times Money Columnist, Ron Lieber to speak and discuss the topics addressed in his book, The Opposite of Spoiled on November 18, 2015.
- 2014 – Partnered with the Youth Philanthropy Initiative of Indiana to promote youth philanthropy by hosting a workshop Engaging Youth in Philanthropy held on Giving Tuesday, December 2, 2014.
- 2013 - Partnered with the Stoop Storytelling people to hold The Giving Life: Stories about the purpose, passion, and power of generosity and service on November 13, 2013.