Baltimore Community Foundation is a philanthropic foundation created by and for the people of Greater Baltimore, where many donors join together to make the region they love a better place, today and for future generations. Our mission is to inspire donors to achieve their charitable goals from generation to generation and to improve the quality of life in the Baltimore region through grantmaking, enlightened civic leadership and strategic investments. BCF’s vision is of a Baltimore that boasts a growing economy where all have the opportunity to thrive. Our action agenda organizes grants, initiatives and advocacy around this vision. The values that guide our work are trustworthiness, inclusion, and entrepreneurialism.
With assets over $170 million comprising over 800 charitable funds, BCF has granted over $392 million since its inception in 1972 and is one of the Baltimore region’s top grantmaking foundations. BCF makes charitable contributions to support a wide range of issues affecting the Baltimore region, currently with a focus on investments in two interest areas: Neighborhoods and Education. BCF undergoes a vigorous accreditation every five years and is certified under the Council on Foundation’s National Standards for U.S. Community Foundations.
BCF operates from the knowledge that profound disparities in opportunity exist between people of color and their white counterparts; and we acknowledge the historic and ongoing role that structural racism plays in creating and perpetuating those disparities. That is why we are committed to reducing racial disparities, identifying and combating structural racism, and fostering more equity and inclusion through our grantmaking, initiatives, and advocacy.
Reporting to the VP of Strategy, the Program Assistant provides administrative support, primarily to the Community Investment team, and occasionally to the larger organization as needed. The person holding this position must regularly assess the CI Department’s work processes and initiate, develop, and monitor systems that improve the efficiency, responsiveness, and effectiveness of the grantmaking services provided to both donors and grant-seekers.
- Provide administrative support to the VP of Strategy and CI staff, including scheduling meetings, returning phone calls, drafting letters, drafting meeting minutes, and responding to grantees
- Provide support for program committees, including preparing dockets and meeting logistics
- Manage all correspondence from organizations seeking or receiving grants, including letters of inquiry and grant reports; keep electronic records of essential grantee communications
- Enter and maintain data in BCF’s information management systems
- Process all discretionary and field of interest grants, as well as full or partial processing of select family fund grants, to include verifying 501(c)3 status of applicants; preparing grant agreements and contracts; issuing award and decline letters; and processing disbursements
- Maintain grant files, which are primarily electronic
- Provide regular back-up support for front desk telephone coverage
- Serve as a member of BCF’s administrative support team that works together to assist with organization-wide projects
- Other duties as assigned
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience;
- Excellent systems analysis and development skills;
- A proven track record of mastering sophisticated and challenging software packages, with a willingness to learn new office systems;
- An understanding of and commitment to the important role that administrative support plays in a high functioning organization
- Excellent oral and written communications skills;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Commitment to providing excellent customer service to both donors and grant seekers;
- Ability to be flexible and to prioritize and manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work with people from a broad range of backgrounds and in a range of settings;
- Knowledge and proficiency with Microsoft Office and database applications (familiarity with MicroEdge FIMS and/or Raiser’s Edge a plus)
- Self-motivated, flexible, friendly, upbeat and comfortable working independently as well as a team player.