Grants and Data Manager
The Blaustein Philanthropic Group (BPG) is seeking a Grants and Data Manager to join our small professional staff.
Based in Baltimore, BPG consists of six multi-generational family foundations with grantmaking programs that span a range of issue areas, including health and mental health, education, environment, social and racial justice, and human rights. Collectively the foundations’ assets total over $300 million and support annual grants of $17 million. More information about the history, values, and priorities of the foundations is available at our website, https://blaufund.org/.
Position Description: The Grants and Data Manager works collaboratively with the three Senior Program Officers, Grants Administrator, and Executive Director as part of a team dedicated to impactful grantmaking and quality grants management. The Manager interfaces with trustees, grantees, grantseekers, and staff at two family offices and plays a critical role in the success of the grantmaking process by providing administrative, logistical, and evaluation support.
- Work with program staff to ensure an efficient workflow for grantmaking and grant monitoring
- Offer guidance to grantees and grantseekers on submissions and payments
- Collect and compile information related to grant requests, including tax and financial information
- Track and report on incoming requests and outgoing grant awards
- Manage grant reporting schedules, including reviewing interim reports and requests for payment and tracking grantee compliance with agreements and requests for information
- Draft grant letters and other grantee correspondence
- Initiate electronic payments and notifications
Grants Data Base and Shared Files Administration
- Help oversee the Blackbaud Grantmaking database, ensuring that it is accurate, up to date and well utilized
- Take the lead on connecting staff to ongoing database training and troubleshooting
- Develop and maintain data dashboards, ad hoc and standard reports
- Update and maintain the grants administration procedure manual
- Further develop and maintain SharePoint, our shared files system
Data Analysis and Reporting
- Design and produce electronic newsletters using MailChimp
- Produce charts, infographics and other materials that communicate the dimensions and impact of our grantmaking programs
- Undertake special projects as assigned or initiated
- Oversee the management of the BPG website, using WordPress for periodic updates and fixes
- Work with our web consultant to implement quarterly maintenance
- Update website content quarterly and as needed
Grant and Bill Payment System Administration
- Provide staff support for Bill.com, coordinating with accounting staff at Atapco Financial Services and Rosemore Professional Services (family offices) and grantees
- Provide logistical and planning support to three foundations, including scheduling trustee, staff, and other in-person or virtual meetings
- Assemble, create, and distribute electronic and paper board materials, and help orchestrate Zoom and in-person meeting logistics
Other duties and projects as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
Strong candidates will be motivated and self-directed team players who like to take initiative and possess the following skills and qualifications.
- A Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Sciences (BS) plus at least 5 years of progressive grants and/or contract management experience in a nonprofit or philanthropic organization, or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Excellent administrative and project management skills; excellent attention to detail. Ability to juggle multiple tasks and consistently meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Ability to be a systems thinker and desire to make systems more functional and accessible.
- Solid communication and customer service skills, including ability to translate technical information into common language. Good sense of humor.
- Advanced computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office and database management. Knowledge of Blackbaud Grantmaking is a significant plus. Experience managing website content through WordPress is also desirable.
- Substantial interest in and/or knowledge of the nonprofit or philanthropic sectors. Five or more years of experience in either sector is a plus.
- Excellent judgment and professional maturity. Ability to be diplomatic, respect confidentiality, and contribute to a positive organizational culture.
- Flexibility and adaptability in the face of challenges and change.
- Comfort in relating to diverse audiences, including grantseekers, colleagues, and trustees.
These are the primary experiences and skills needed to succeed in the position, however applicants need not possess all of them right now. If you like to learn and grow, we encourage you to apply.
Work Location and Expectations: Our offices in central downtown Baltimore are accessible by MTA bus, light rail, and subway links. We offer a flexible hybrid work schedule and supportive office culture. Staff are required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19.
Salary and Benefits: The Jacob and Hilda Blaustein Foundation, the employer for the Blaustein Philanthropic Group, offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and full benefits package that includes a 401k savings program with employer match, health, life, and long-term disability insurance, and a 2:1 matching gifts program. The Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to build a diverse team.
Please submit a cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications for the position along with a resume to: Betsy F. Ringel, Executive Director, Blaustein Philanthropic Group by email via firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to 1 South Street, Suite 2900, Baltimore, MD 21202. No faxes please.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis through September 16, 2022.