Director of Development
We’re growing our innovative team at Adoptions Together, dedicated to the life-long work of building and sustaining families.
Allow your dedication, compassion, and ingenuity to shine as our new Director of Development! The Director of Development designs, leads, and implements Adoptions Together’s business and resource development strategies and activities to ensure the growth and success of the organization. The Director of Development works collaboratively with the CEO and other members of the leadership team to ensure Adoptions Together’s mission, fidelity, and social impact by leading and directing the effective execution of all development activities. The Director of Development creates, plans, and manages successful initiatives in areas including major gifts, planned giving, endowments, public and private contracts and grants, annual giving, special events, fundraising communications, public relations, and donor relations.
The Director of Development reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer, works closely with the Board of Directors, and directly leads, manages, and mentors members of the development team. As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, the Director of Development fosters a culture of philanthropy and champions Adoptions Together's mission, core values, and commitment to diversity, equity, access, and inclusion.
This position is a hybrid role based in Calverton MD, with local travel required as needed.
Who We Are
Adoptions Together is one of the area’s top 501(c)(3) nonprofit child and family service agencies in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, DC. We are passionate about the work we do and believe in supporting and strengthening every child, every family, every step of the way. Our mission is to build healthy, lifelong family connections for every child and to advocate for the continuous improvement of systems that promote the well-being of children.
One of our agency’s guiding principles is inclusivity: all children and families are welcome regardless of gender expression, age, race, religion, wealth, health, marital status, or sexual orientation. With this guiding principle in mind, we believe in cultivating a healthy environment in which all employees feel supported while working to achieve our mission.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
1. Development Leadership & Strategy
- Translate Adoptions Together’s mission and vision into a set of core development strategies for the organization.
- Partner with the leadership team to ensure strategic priorities are established and implemented to promote long-term growth and organizational viability.
- Execute and own the comprehensive strategy that will cultivate and steward the financial resources from corporations, foundations, and individuals needed to advance the work.
- Create and implement strategies to constantly improve the organization's revenue diversification efforts to maximize scale and impact.
- Apply innovative thinking and performance measurements to analyze and support strategic decision-making. Utilize data to inform decisions and evaluate progress towards goals.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the development team.
- Oversee development budget and work with Finance department for reporting.
2. Fundraising Activities & Management
- Drive development and fundraising in collaboration with the Chief Executive Officer, leveraging the Board as needed.
- Prospect, initiate, cultivate, and expand relationships with Adoption Together’s portfolio of individual, foundation, and corporate donors.
- Foster relationships and develop true partnerships with businesses to grow corporate support.
- Oversee research and creation of written proposals, letters of inquiry and other communications for grantors to request and seek funding relating to all programs and opportunities.
- Manage a portfolio of donors and prospects that requires a systematic approach of personal outreach, site visits, recurring updates, and other strategic communications.
- Oversee fundraising event planning and execution.
- Oversee the management of the agency’s donor database.
3. Development Marketing and Communications
- Lead and manage the fundraising aspects of the organization’s external marketing and public relations.
- As a Senior leader, serve as an ambassador for Adoptions Together’s work by representing the organization and liaising with key external stakeholders at events, conferences, and partnership meetings.
- Work collaboratively with Marketing Specialist to develop, implement and evaluate organizational and programmatic fundraising communications plans.
- Ensure high visibility to prospects and the public and build interest in engaged philanthropy.
- Develop and strengthen online messaging and for fundraising campaigns.
4. Board Relations
- Maintain regular and ongoing communication to build strong relationships with the entire Board, always providing leadership and support to members.
- Communicate effectively with the Board by providing members with all fundraising information necessary to continually function properly and make informed decisions in a timely and accurate manner.
- Attend all Board meetings and provide reports and updates on staff as well as all current work, project timelines, and project and organizational progress.
- Work closely and openly with the Board and its committees, ensuring ongoing communication of risks, issues, as well as successes. Serve as a member of the Fundraising Committee.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years leading development at a social impact / nonprofit organization
- 8+ years in all areas of development (major gifts, annual and planned giving, special events, donor relations, communications, and public relations)
- Experience in Salesforce highly preferred
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) preferred
- Child & family welfare experience preferred
Preferred Skills & Abilities
- Commitment to and passion for the mission of Adoptions Together
- Knowledge of all elements of fundraising including defining needs; foundations, donors, government contracting, grants, events, relationship building
- Ability to act as a strategic thought partner in tandem with the CEO and make recommendations that consider competing needs and priorities.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects in a growing and evolving environment.
- Ability to identify opportunities, think strategically & implement tactically.
- Superb written, oral, and public speaking skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with strong interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Comfortable with data and able to synthesize data from different sources into valuable reports.
- Clear commitment and vision for how equity and inclusion is incorporated in organizational design and fundraising practice.
- Effective leadership, critical thinking, and adept problem solving.
- Adaptability through a flexible and open-minded attitude
- Proven ability to lead meetings and delegate responsibilities.
Why Join Us?
If our mission and vision align with your personal values, we may be a good fit!
The salary for this position is $93,000 – $109,000, commensurate with experience with full benefits including:
- Flexible working environment
- Paid Vacation & Sick Leave – Over 4 weeks to start!
- Health, Dental & Vision Insurance – Including an HRA and FSA
- Paid Life, Short-Term, and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- 401k Retirement Plan
- Paid Holiday Leave
- And more!
To apply, please submit a detailed cover letter outlining your qualifications for the position along with your resume.
Each employee is required to complete (and maintain as necessary) a physical exam to include a TB test, a criminal background check in identified jurisdictions, and Child Protective Services Registries check in identified jurisdictions, and orientation training.
Adoptions Together is an equal opportunity employer and offers a pleasant, flexible work environment. To learn more, please visit https://www.adoptionstogether.org/about-us/careers/
Principals only, no recruiters. No phone calls please.
To apply, please submit a detailed cover letter outlining your qualifications for the position along with your resume. https://adoptionstogether.isolvedhire.com/jobs/948732-8660.html