The Development Manager will work closely with the Senior Program Director, District Development and the CEO to maintain and broaden the depth of our individual, corporate and foundation relationships while managing the ongoing operations. The Development Manager will write and submit grant applications, grant reports, donation request letters, and donor acknowledgment letters. In addition, the position will support the Heart of the Schools special event and ongoing initiatives.
The Fund for Educational Excellence’s core operating budget is approximately $3.7M annually. Approximately 35% of revenue is philanthropic support from individuals, foundations, and corporations. The Development Manager will write and submit all general operating proposals for the organization and ensure all grant reporting requirements are completed and submitted in accordance with the grant agreements. This position will also be responsible for coordinating the annual individual giving campaign for the Fund.
The Fund works closely with Baltimore City Public Schools to secure private, philanthropic support for key initiatives within the district. The Development Manager will also be responsible for supporting the Senior Program Director, District Development to ensure all reporting requirements for grants made to the Fund on behalf of the school district are completed and submitted in accordance with the grant agreement. This may include writing narrative reports in collaboration with school district staff.
The Development Manager will be responsible for creating and disseminating acknowledgement letters for all funding received by the Fund for Educational Excellence. This includes general operating support, programmatic support, and support for our fiscally sponsored clients.
The Development Manager will serve as a system administrator with our Customer Relationship Management program, Salesforce. This includes ensuring individual, corporate, and foundation donor data integrity, as well as supporting with structural changes to the platform, as needed. Training, support, and resources will be provided.
The Heart of the School is a year-round program that celebrates and supports Baltimore City Public School principals for their exemplary innovation, execution, and leadership, building strong school cultures. Coordinated by the Fund, the program is a collaborative of dozens of businesses, foundations, individuals and nonprofits. The Development Manager will support the Senior Program Director, District Development with implementation of this work, including fundraising efforts, reporting, managing the Heart of the School Fund, and direct programmatic support.
Role and Responsibilities
- Writing and submitting funding proposals
- Maintaining online donation pages, with support from our Communications Manager
- Creating and monitoring specialized donor appeals (i.e. Giving Tuesday, client campaigns)
- Managing the Annual Giving Campaign
- Researching potential new funders and strategies, including corporate sponsorship models
- Writing and submitting grant reports
- Merging and sending acknowledgement letters
- Entering and maintaining all development data within Salesforce
- Serving as System Administrator for Salesforce (training provided)
- Supporting the Heart of the Schools program through proposal writing/submission, reporting, managing the Heart of the School Fund, and direct programmatic support (event coordination, volunteer management, etc.)
We seek candidates who believe deeply in our organization’s mission, who thrive in a fast-paced, team-oriented and dynamic environment, and who demonstrate a record of achievement. We encourage those for whom this would be a growth position to apply. The Fund acknowledges that soft skills, curiosity, flexibility, and commitment help to create the diverse and dynamic team that we value. Other qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferred)
- Exceptional writing skills
- 3-5 years of work experience in development or a closely related department
- Association for Fundraising Professionals training (preferred)
- Extraordinary attention to detail
- Experience with a complex Customer Relationship Management/Grants Management system (Salesforce preferred)
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office suite, PowerPoint and Excel
- The ability to manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously
- Knowledge of urban public school systems (preferred)
Please submit a resume and cover letter addressed to Kevin Leary at email@example.com. Applications may be submitted until 11:59 PM on Friday, March 10th but will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We will consider only those applications that include a cover letter tailored to this position. Please put “Development Manager” in the subject line of the email.
The salary range for this position is $58K-$65K annually. A successful candidate will be offered a salary within this range based on experience and skill alignment with the job duties.
The Fund for Educational Excellence offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision plans on the first day of employment and a 401k match after one year of employment.
The Fund for Educational Excellence is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage bi-lingual and multi-lingual candidates as well as individuals from all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply to this position. The Fund for Educational Excellence does not discriminate in any aspect of employment on the basis of race, color, ancestry or national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or age.