The Money in Politics Implications of a Johnson Amendment Repeal
A repeal of the Johnson Amendment, which prohibits charitable organizations, including religious institutions, from intervening in political campaigns, could have a damaging impact on the integrity of the sector and further infuse money into our political process. Since President Trump’s statement over a year ago promising to “destroy” the Johnson Amendment, there have been several executive and legislative actions to try to repeal the law, and advocates have mobilized to defend it.
Join us to learn more about where the repeal stands now and what philanthropy can do to protect the Johnson Amendment.
During this webinar, funders will learn about:
- What the Johnson Amendment is and why it is important for a healthy democracy;
- The implications of a repeal on money in politics;
- How funders have been advocating to protect the Johnson Amendment, and how Philanthropy can be more involved.
- Allison Grayson, Independent Sector
- Erin Kahn, Raikes Foundation
- Amanda Tyler, Baptist Joint Committee for Religious Liberty
Moderated by Carmen Lopez-Wilson, Thornburg Foundation